Agreed with the responses, would just add -- no one addressed "consent." You don't HAVE TO go before a judge - if he agrees or you two reach a compromise, then you can relocate. GET ANY AGREEMENT IN WRITING - I'd suggest having an attorney draw it up so it can't easily be challenged in the future.