I agree with John but would add that some jurisdictions have programs that cover some or all of medical bills for uninsured patients of limited means. Therefore, I'd recommend consulting an elder law attorney to see whether help may be available to you. Also an elder law attorney may be more familiar than you with how to negotiate down the bills.