In South Carolina, even if the information is true, a person may be able to bring an action for Intentional Infliction of Emotional Distress (Outrage) or Invasion of Privacy.

The person asking this question should consult an attorney and, if the questioner is not sure which attorney to call, the questioner can contact the South Carolina Bar Lawyer Referral Service. The South Carolina Bar Lawyer Referral Service is a free resource which may be able to help you find an attorney to assist you. The service is offered by telephone and online. The telephone service operates from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. To access the service via telephone, please call (800) 868-2284. To access the service online, please go to the web page at “”.