Royce Brent Bishop
Royce Brent Bishop, Speeding / Traffic Ticket Lawyer - Delray Beach, FL
Posted over 4 years ago.

It sounds like you got caught off guard and did not see this coming. I'm saying this because if you were completely caught off guard it is bad mentally, but maybe better legally speaking because you did not know. It is worse if someone knows about a lawsuit and ignored it.

No photo
Posted over 4 years ago.

Un update about the situation. Yesterday two men from Miami Court came to my house with an order to pay the rent to a Trust Account or to the Registry of the Court. So, what do you recommend me to do. If I pay to the Court, can the owner of the apartment sue me for not meeting the contract? The court is asking me to send a copy of the contract. Who is going to pay the building maintenance and who is going to give me back all the deposits after my contract finishes? Is the new "landlord" responsible for this? Thanks very much for your help. Ignacio

Carol Lynne Zimmerly
Carol Lynne Zimmerly, Landlord / Tenant Lawyer - Kissimmee, FL
Posted over 4 years ago.

The judge has authority to order you to pay the rent into the registry of the court. If the order says to do that, then you should. I advise you to hire an attorney to check out the order to make sure it is legitimate. An order should have been mailed to you, not delivered by "two men from Miami Court." That sounds odd. I think you need to call a local landlord attorney or real estate lawyer and ask for a free consultation. Or go to the county courthouse and ask to speak to a clerk to check out the order's legitimacy. Anyone can print up a paper and sign it, so I would have you investigate this further. We can't comment on the "building maintenance" as you haven't given enough facts. You should ask a local lawyer in person for advice on that. Good luck in this situation.