After a call to the MAU (which I should have done in the first place), I am told you CAN drive in CA on a 1650 waiver as long as you are not in CA for more than 30 days which would require getting a CA driver's license.

Mr. Pullman is correct.

I still stand by my statement that cops may not care and you get cited/arrested anyway but you have an absolute defense.