I am amending my answer.

While I still think you stand a good chance of being cited by an officer who had the same bad information I did, you CAN drive in CA with a valid out of state license while on a 1650 waiver.

Best answer is Mr. Pullman. Prompted me to call the MAU and get it directly from the horse's...mouth.