No photo
Posted over 4 years ago.

Paternity has already been established and the state had been garnishing my paycheck for 2 years. I filed for joint custody / visitation after she went into hiding with my son. The mother has bipolar and schizophrenia and had locked my son in a room isolating him from all human contact . My son was 4 1/2 years old and in diapers with the communication skills of a 2 year old when child protective services took him from his mother. Apparently, this was the second time protective services had placed him in fostercare. Unaware of this, I moved to Oregon last year to be with family after being laid-off from my job and all my efforts to locate my son had failed .

She would never agree to the name change.

Jay Bodzin
Jay Bodzin, Child Custody Lawyer - Portland, OR
Posted over 4 years ago.

Well, if paternity is already established, then amending the birth certificate is a simple matter, if it hasn't been done already. The Clerk of the Court is supposed to certify the finding of paternity to the Center for Health Statistics, and they issue a new birth certificate (ORS 109.094). If this hasn't happened, you can consult with an attorney and they can have the court set it right.