As you seem to understand, there are two tracks to any DUI arrest. The first is through the Department of Licensing, where you have twenty (20) days to request a hearing. This is a civil hearing. The second is the criminal process.

Ms. Freeman is right. You do not have to have an attorney to request a hearing with the Department of Licensing.

You will, however, need an attorney for the criminal side, in addition to needing an attorney to be effectively represented in the DOL (civil) hearing.

Lots of judges like you to have an attorney at arraignment, if you can afford one. If not, you should have one soon thereafter.