You Can't Just Pack Up Your Child and Move

James Louis Miller

Written by

Family Law Attorney - Fresno, CA

Contributor Level 16

Posted about 3 years ago. Applies to California, 1 helpful vote



The Notice Must be Given Before the Move

You can't change the residence of the child and then notify the other parent. You must notify the non-custodial parent before you change the residence of the child. THe notice must be a minimum of 45 days prior to the move.



The notice shall be given by mail, return receipt requested, postage prepaid, to the last known address of the parent to be notified. A copy must also be sent to the other parent's counsel of record.

Additional Resources

Rate this guide

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

22,511 answers this week

2,825 attorneys answering