WHEN SHOULD AN ELDER LAW ATTORNEY BE CONTACTED?
Most clients wait to look for an Elder Law Attorney until an emergency healthcare situation or when a loved one needs nursing home care. However, the best time to find an Elder Law Attorney is before a crisis. Elder Law Attorneys use a multidisciplinary approach, addressing medical, financial, legal, social and family issues, centered on the needs of seniors and people with disabilities. As Elder Law Attorneys for over 57 years, Friedman & Ranzenhofer, PC has helped families find appropriate ways to finance long-term care while preserving their dignity and avoid total impoverishment. Legal problems that affect the elderly are rapidly growing. State and federal laws and regulations are becoming more complex. Actions taken by the elderly with regard to a single matter may have unintended legal effects. Elder Law encompasses many different fields of law. Including:
- Preservation/transfer of assets;
- Avoidance of spousal impoverishment when a spouse enters a nursing home;
- Medicare claims and appeals;
- Social Security and disability claims and appeals;
- Supplemental and long term health insurance issues;
- Disability planning,( including use of durable powers of attorney, living trusts, health care proxies and living wills), for financial management and health care decisions, and other means of delegating management and decision-making to another in case of incompetency or incapacity;
- Estate planning, including planning for the management of one's estate during life and its disposition on death through the use of trusts, wills and other planning documents;
- Administration and management of trusts and estates;
- Long-term care placements in nursing home and life care communities;
- Nursing home issues, including patients' rights and nursing home quality;
- Elder abuse and fraud recovery cases ;
- Housing issues;
- Age discrimination in employment;
- Retirement, including public and private retirement benefits, survivor benefits and pension benefits;
- Health law; and
- Mental health law.
As Elder Law Attorneys, we have a broad understanding of the laws that may have an impact on your situation, to avoid future problems. We take into account and empathize with some of the true physical and mental difficulties that often accompany the aging process. Our understanding of the afflictions of the aged allows us to determine more easily the differences between the physical and mental disability of our clients. We are more aware of real life problems, health and otherwise, as persons age. All of these things will hopefully make you more comfortable when dealing with us and ease your way as you try to resolve your legal problems.