What To Do If You Are Accused of Corporal Injury on Your Spouse or Partner

Paul Jeffrey Wallin

Written by  Pro

Family Law Attorney - Tustin, CA

Contributor Level 10

Posted about 5 years ago. Applies to California, 3 helpful votes



What Is Corporal Injury?

If you or someone you know has been charged with corporal injury on a spouse or partner under California Penal Code section 273.5, you should immediately contact an experienced criminal defense attorney. An experienced criminal defense attorney will know how to examine all the circumstances surrounding your case to secure the most favorable result. In order to prove that the crime of corporal injury on a spouse has been committed, it must be shown that a physical injury was willfully inflicted on a spouse, former spouse, cohabitant, or the mother of defendant's child. It also must result in a traumatic condition, which is defined as a wound or other injury to the body, whether minor or serious, and caused by physical force.


Defenses to Corporal Injury of Your Spouse or Partner

Depending on the facts of your case there may be viable defenses. Some common defenses for corporal injury on a spouse or partner include self defense, defense of others, consent and possibly intoxication. Of course, consultation with an experienced criminal defense attorney is crucial to understanding how any possible defenses may be used to your benefit in fighting the charges.


Sentencing and Conviction

Corporal injury on a spouse can be a felony. A felony conviction for corporal injury on a spouse can result in imprisonment in state prison for up to four years.

Additional Resources

The criminal defense attorneys at Wallin & Klarich have been handling serious criminal cases for more than 30 years and will zealously represent you while making sure your rights are protected. Our attorneys will examine the circumstances of your case in order to provide you with the best possible defense. Contact the experienced Southern California criminal defense attorneys at Wallin & Klarich today at 1-888-280-6839. We will be there when you call.

Rate this guide

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,089 answers this week

3,573 attorneys answering