What To Do If You Are Accused of Corporal Injury on a Child

Posted about 5 years ago. Applies to California, 2 helpful votes




Anyone who has been charged with corporal injury on a child, under California Penal Code Section 273d, should be prepared to retain an experienced criminal defense attorney. An experienced criminal defense attorney will know how to examine all the circumstances surrounding your case to secure the most favorable result. Corporal injury on a child is defined as an infliction of a physical punishment on a child that results in a traumatic condition. Physical punishment can be any form of physical contact with the child that results in an injury. The type of contact can range from punching to pushing a child.


How The Prosecution Will Try to Prove Corporal Injury of a Child

To prove that a person is guilty of the crime of corporal injury on a child in California, the prosecution must prove an individual willfully inflicted cruel or inhuman physical injury on a child. The prosecution must also show that physical punishment was unreasonable or unjustified. The child must also have suffered a traumatic condition.


Defenses to Corporal Injury

Reasonable discipline is a defense to the charge of corporal injury on a child. In some circumstances, the defendant can use the defense of reasonable discipline when spanking a child with an open hand to discipline their child for misbehavior. The discipline must be reasonable and warranted. Using a large wooden paddle to beat a child for bad behavior would not be reasonable discipline. For more information, go to www.wklaw.com and read our Corporal Injury on a Child section. You will find invaluable information on the charges that you or a loved one may be facing, as well as the possible defenses.

Additional Resources

At Wallin & Klarich, our California corporal injury on a child defense attorneys have over 30 years of experience defending those accused of corporal injury on a child, and are prepared to handle every aspect of your case. Our attorneys will examine the circumstances of your case in order to provide you with the best possible defense. Contact the experienced Southern California criminal defense attorneys at Wallin & Klarich today at 1-888-749-0034. We will be there when you call.

Rate this guide

Related Questions

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

33,728 answers this week

3,715 attorneys answering