What is the maximum amount of real property that can be administered without probate?

Barry Evan Haimo

Video posted by  Pro

Probate Attorney - Fort Lauderdale, FL

Contributor Level 13

Posted over 2 years ago. Applies to Florida, NY, 1 helpful vote


Whether or not you have a validly executed Will, your estate will go through Probate to the extent that you die owning assets in your name. "Probate" is the legal process through which a deceased person's affairs are formally settled. First, an attorney must be retained to open up an estate w/ the court. A person is then appointed to administer the estate, who is often called a Personal Representative or Executor. The Personal Representative works with the attorney and is responsible for overseeing the entire process, beginning with locating a validly executed will. The Personal Representative must then identify and gather all the deceased person's assets, file an inventory with the court and notify the deceased's creditors of the pending estate. It's a lot of work. Next, assets are then pooled together and used to satisfy creditors' claims. Finally, the balance of assets are ultimately distributed to the proper beneficiaries, who - as you now know from the crash course on wills - are determined by the will or may be decided for you by the state in which you reside. As you now know, ancillary probate means a "mini" probate in another state for the limited purpose of administering real property that the deceased owned there. More unnecessary administration expenses (including attorneys' fees and costs).

There is no maximum amount of assets that can be administered in probate. If not planned ahead, all the properties will be administered this way. More unnecessary administration expenses (including attorneys' fees and costs).

"Planning with Purpose," Haimo Law (HaimoLaw.com) can help you plan for and protect your family and your business's interests for the immediate and long-term future. Together, we can take advantage of incredible tools and techniques that are available to you right now. Call us for wills, trusts, probate, asset protection and business planning. Haimo Law offers premium professional representation at an affordable price. Alternative fee arrangements are available upon request. We are reliable, approachable, honest, hard-working and attentive. Helping your family and business is our priority. We look forward to meeting and exceeding your expectations.

Additional Resources

For additional information, visit our website at HaimoLaw.com. We also have over 150 short videos answering your FAQ. Alternatively, you may certainly give us a call or email us at help@haimolaw.com. We'd be delighted to hear from you.

Rate this guide

Related Topics

Estate planning

Estate planning refers to the process in which you decide and document what happens to your assets after you die, by making things like wills or trusts.

Inheritance rights and estate planning

Inheritance rights refers to the rights most states give to a spouse (and in some cases, children or grandchildren) that prevent you from disinheriting them.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,325 answers this week

3,302 attorneys answering