A probate lawyer is an attorney who has the education and experience necessary to help clients through the probate process. Generally, if you’re an executor, you’ll hire a probate lawyer to help you navigate all the rules that govern the probate process, and make sure that the decedent’s estate is settled efficiently and effectively. And, an experienced probate lawyer can guide you through the process from start to finish. Here are some of the things a probate lawyer can take care of:
· Help you read and understand the decedent’s will.
· Help you identify and manage the estate property while probate is pending.
· Prepare and file the necessary court paperwork to begin the probate process, plus keep up with all the paperwork that’s required during the process.
· Communicate with the court on your behalf during the probate process.
· Assist you with finding the appropriate professionals to appraise the decedent’s property, so that the value of the property at the time of death can be verified.
· Help you determine which of the decedent’s bills and debts need to be paid, in what order they should be paid, and where the money should come from to pay them.
· Address any tax issues that arise during probate, including helping to determine whether estate or gift taxes are due, and ensuring that the appropriate returns are filed and taxes are paid.
· Once debts and taxes are paid, help you transfer assets to the appropriate beneficiaries, making sure the appropriate deeds are in place to transfer title, and that all legal documentation is in place.
And, if a dispute arises during the probate process, either with a beneficiary or with a creditor, a probate lawyer can help you reach a resolution – either inside or outside the courtroom.
If you’re looking for a probate lawyer, you’ll want to find someone who devotes the bulk of his or her legal practice to helping clients with estate planning and probate issues. And, you’ll want to make sure the attorney you choose has enough experience to confidently guide you through the probate process.
We at the Mendel Law Firm can help you uncover your options and choose the strategy that is best for you.