What if I am fired or asked to sign a severance agreement or release of claims?

Scott Thomas Fortune

Written by

Employment / Labor Attorney

Contributor Level 8

Posted about 5 years ago. 1 helpful vote



How do I find an attorney?

Ask for references from friends or co-workers. Word of mouth is the best method of finding an attorney who has a good reputation with his or her former clients. Alternately, you may want to ask any attorney you know (regardless of his or her practice area) if they can recommend an attorney with a good reputation representing employees in employment cases. You can also check online, at www.Martindale.com. You will get a listing of attorneys by practice area, and their rating for legal ability and ethics among their peers. You can also contact your local bar association, and ask them for the names of attorneys practicing employment law.


How do I know if I have selected the right attorney?

Ask him or her to provide their resume, showing the cases he or she has handled in the past. Ask him or her to explain the steps involved in getting the case resolved and how long each step is likely to take. Ask about the fee arrangement, and ask to see the fee agreement in writing. Ask your potential attorney what he or she thinks are the strengths and weaknesses of your case. If the attorney is not comfortable answering these questions, you may want to try another attorney before you agree to be represented by him or her.

Additional Resources

www.lawyers.com, www.martindale.com

Rate this guide

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,402 answers this week

3,161 attorneys answering