What happens to me in Nashville Tennessee if I am charged with a probation violation?

Posted over 4 years ago. Applies to Tennessee, 2 helpful votes



The Judge can order the defendant to serve his entire sentence in jail.

Basically the entire sentence that was originally suspended to be served on probation is now being placed into effect to be served in jail or prison. You would still likely be eligible for good time credits in jail and you still may be released early to parole.


The judge could order you to continue on probation or to probation beginning anew;

The court could reinstate your probation or restart it for the entire original period.


The judge could extend your probation for two years.

Tennessee law allows the court to extend probation for upto two years.


The trial court could also order you to community corrections.

Community corrections is a very intense form of probation. This option is only available if the probation violation is techinical in nature and not a new criminal offense.


Other considerations

Thus, if a criminal defendant is charged with a violation of probation, he or she could be required to serve the entire sentence that was originally ordered to be suspended and served on probation to be served in prison or in jail. It is very important to contact an attorney to ensure that your case is presented in the most favorable way to the trial court so you have your best chance to avoid serving your entire sentence incarcerated. A good criminal attorney may be able to convince the court that you either did not violate your probatoin, that despite violating your probation that you should be returned to probation or may be able to convince the court to allow you to submit to drug treatment or some other form of rehabilitative treatment instead of being incarcerated for your entire sentence.

Additional Resources


Rate this guide

Related Questions

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,264 answers this week

3,208 attorneys answering