When can I receive a Social Security Number?

If you do not already have a social security number, you can apply for one at the U.S. Social Security Administration (SSA) office. If you hold nonimmigrant visa status that allows you to work in the U.S. (e.g., H-1B), the SSA will issue a social security card which indicates that you are authorized to work with USCIS authorization only. Your dependents will not be issued SSNs, but they can apply for a federal identification number at a local IRS office. For more information about applying for a social security number and office locations, you can visit the SSA website at www.ssa.gov .


What Type of Card do I receive as an Immigrant?

If you enter the US as an Immigrant or adjust your status to immigrant, you will proceed to the local Social Security Office for a new card (for those with a social security number already, you will maintain your number but get a new card). This card will ONLY have your name and social security number and will no longer contain the legend "authorized for employment only with USCIS authorization."