What can I do when my child has been arrested or is in trouble at school in Texas?

Posted about 2 years ago. Applies to Texas, 1 helpful vote



Call your attorney.

If you don't have an attorney, then research some on sites like AVVO.com to find a lawyer that you are comfortable with. For instance, my initial consultation for you and your child is free and many lawyers in your area may have the same policy. If you don't call me, then at least call a lawyer who has experience in juvenile law and has worked with school administrations and their policies. Many parents I've talked to all have a sense of helplessness simply because they just don't have the vital information that a competent lawyer can provide. I've seen a parent's anger towards their child turn into embarrassment and frustration right before my eyes, and many times, these emotions are unnecessary once they get the information they need about the rights of their child.


Read your child's student handbook.

Sounds crazy right? Believe me, there is a reason that schools are required to have one and issue it to their students. If your child wasn't handed an actual printed book, then you can always find a copy on your school district's website. The most important parts of the handbook address punishment. For example, the administrative rules regarding punishment that are in place by your school district have different appeal procedures depending on who administered the punishment. Let's say your child was wrongfully accused by a teacher, the handbook would give a deadline by which you could appeal that punishment and accusation to the vice principal. There may even be additional levels of appealing punishment all the way to the school board-which acts like the supreme court on all decisions of discipline. Many school districts divide up punishment by levels and this information would be contained in your child's handbook.


Listen to your child.

When you first confront your child about a discipline violation at school, don't be the one that does all the talking. Sometimes the best information I gather about an incident at school comes from me just simply letting a child tell her side of the story. We often assume that children do not share the same sense of right and wrong that adults do and that can lead us to discredit their version of an incident, even if they are trying to tell the truth. This is a terrible mistake. That doesn't mean that we leave our common sense at the door and believe everything a child says, but if your child knows that you are willing to listen to them, then they will often times shoot you straight. If you scream at them, they will say almost anything to get you to stop, including admitting to something they didn't do. School officials make this mistake all the time.


Don't assume that school officials are on your side.

Many times, a school rule violation can also be a crime. If your child takes a gun to school, you will quickly realize the distinction. Any statement you or your child makes to school officials can be used against him or her in a criminal investigation later. If your child is being asked questions that could subject her or him to a crime, then you seriously need legal counsel. In one of my more serious juvenile cases, a young man in highschool admitted to his coach that he did something he didn't actually do because he thought that he would merely be doing extra laps around the track as punishment. Four days later, he was brought before a judge after being arrested, and it took six months to get the charges dismissed. The criminal charges were gone, but the experience of being arrested, sitting in jail, and missing his family will be with him forever.


The criminal juvenile system is no joke

If circumstances are completely out of your control with your child and his or her situation at school, then you will be visiting them at the local juvenile justice center. Your child can be taken to jail and detained there if the judge determines detention is needed. However, your child can be released into your custody with special conditions. Kids don't bond out of juvenile detention like adults do in jail. If your child is released to you pending the trial of their case, then you are responsible for seeing that they appear timely in court. If your child is facing assault, theft, drug charges, or another type of charge, and you don't know what to do, then remember tip #1 and call your attorney.

Additional Resources


Rate this guide

Related Topics

Criminal defense

Criminal law establishes the classifications of crimes, how guilt or innocence is determined, and the types of punishment or rehabilitation that may be imposed.

Arrest for criminal charges

Arrest is when a law enforcement officer takes you into custody, typically to jail. Officers must have a warrant or probable cause in order to arrest you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,097 answers this week

3,244 attorneys answering