Travel Documents for Refugees and Asylees

Refugees and asylees require Refugee Travel Documents in order to travel outside the U.S. and be readmitted. In most cases, a refugee or asylee should use the Refugee Travel Document in place of a passport.


Travel May Cause Loss of Refugee or Aslyee Status

Refugees and asylees should practice caution when considering a trip to the country where they experienced persecution. If a refugee or asylee's travel suggest they are no longer in need of asylum or did not experience past persecution, the U.S. may terminate their grant of asylum or refugee status.


Green Card Applicants Require Advance Parole

Most adjustment of status applicants (green card applicants) must have valid advance parole documents in order to travel outside the U.S. Travel is prohibited while the advance parole application is pending, and the process takes three to six months. Applications may only be expedited in emergency situations.


Travel May Trigger Bar to Readmission

Travelers who have had any prior visa refusals, visa overstays or criminal convictions should consult with an immigration lawyer before leaving the U.S. In some cases, international travel can trigger a bar to readmission.