Tips for Hiring an Immigration Lawyer

Jennifer Lynn Bennett

Written by

Immigration Attorney

Contributor Level 10

Posted about 2 years ago. 4 helpful votes



Where to search for an immigration attorney

One good place to start is with the American Immigration Lawyers Association (known as "AILA"). Although not all immigration attorneys are a member of the association, AILA can help you find an attorney who is a member of their organization. The organization provides invaluable amounts of information to its members and an attorney who is a member is likely to have access to all of the most current information in the immigration field of law. Another place you may wish to try is a local bar association. Most local bar associations have referral programs to help you find an attorney who suits your needs.


Questions to ask an immigration attorney

As a potential client, it is important to ask the attorney what percentage of his or her practice is in immigration. Immigration is a highly complex and unique area of law, so it would be best to hire an attorney who has at least some experience with immigration cases, rather than just a general practice attorney, for example, who has never dealt with the immigration system. Another question to ask is whether the attorney has experience with your particular type of immigration case and/or what fee's you should expect to be charged if you were to hire that attorney.

Additional Resources

Rate this guide

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Citizenship: How to become a US citizen

In order to become US citizens and enjoy the benefits that citizenship grants, immigrants must go through the naturalization process.

Scott Thomas Helsper

Citizenship Through NaturalizationI

Naturalization is the process in which a person not born in the United States becomes a U.S. citizen. For more than 200 years, the United States has remained strong because of its citizens... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,907 answers this week

3,058 attorneys answering