The New Immigration Policy for Young People: What You Need To Know

Hassan Minhaj Ahmad

Written by

Immigration Attorney - Herndon, VA

Contributor Level 12

Posted over 2 years ago. 1 helpful vote




Everyone's case is different. Some will qualify, some will not. Only a lawyer can tell you whether you qualify. You have to qualify before you can file an application under the new law. If you qualify, you can file even if you have an order of deportation. You have to have entered the US before you turned 16 You cannot be more than 30 years old now You cannot have any serious misdemeanors or felonies You have to have more than 5 years of residence in the US You have to either be in school, graduated high school, have a GED, or have served in the military If you qualify, you can get a work permit, a social security number, a driver's license, and other benefits.



This is not "backdoor amnesty" in contrast to the vitriolic complaints of those like Gov. Jan Brewer of Arizona (who signed the rather infamous SB1070 "papers, please" law, prompting a legal challenge currently being decided by the US Supreme Court.) Amnesty means the granting of legal status to those who broke the law. No status is being granted to these hardworking people; it is simply a sensible, administrative allocation of resources that results in a more humane, just immigration system, and a net positive to the economy to boot. Nor is it the "DREAM" Act, although few would argue that it's not a significant step towards the passage of the DREAM Act. Many of the young people that would have qualified for actual status had the DREAM Act passed are now likely to benefit from this new policy. But it's not circumventing Congress. It's called prosecutorial discretion, and it's used by prosecutors in every courtroom in every day.

Additional Resources

Remember, the regulations have not yet come out but you can visit for the latest information (we will publish updates as they become available).

Rate this guide

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,653 answers this week

3,299 attorneys answering