Ten Things to Do in Case of an Accident in California.

Posted over 4 years ago. Applies to California, 5 helpful votes




First make sure everyone is safe. Second, If accident occurs in a busy intersection, and no one is hurt consider moving vehicle to a nearby safe location. Third, call for the police, Fourth, exchange insurance information with the other driver. Fifth, Do not leave the scene of the accident. Sixth, ask the names, addresses and telephone numbers of any witnesses to the accident. Seventh: Get the other driver's address and license number. Eight, if you have a camera take pictures of the scene of the accident, including your car and the license plates of the other party involved. Ninth, do not argue with the other party, stay calm and wait for the police. Tenth, be clear and precise when the policeman asks you for your version of the accident: make sure he writes that you were stopped at the red light, that you were hit from behind or sideways, that the other driver ran the red light and hit you at the intersection, and provide an estimate of the speed at which you were hit.



After the accident, contact an attorney to help you sort out all the intricacies of the claim against the other party's insurance company. Your attorney should be able to contact the other driver's insurance company and secure the insurance coverage. Your attorney should help you arrive at a settlement that would compensate you for your injuries, Cooperate with your attorney and follow his advice. In the event that the other driver's insurance coverage limits is not sufficient to cover all your debts and compensate you for your pain and suffering, your attorney will be able to advice what to do next. The lack of coverage is a prevalent problem in California where many homeowners own only the minimum insurance policy for their autos but have homes valued at over a million dollars, thus leaving them exposed to a .potential loss of their most valued asset.

Additional Resources

In California, you may be able to get a personal injury referral through the California Bar Lawyer's Referral Service. You may reach the California Bar at :http://calbar.org

California Bar

Rate this guide

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,464 answers this week

3,047 attorneys answering