Temporary U.S. Visas

John R Alcorn

Written by  Pro

Immigration Attorney

Contributor Level 8

Posted about 4 years ago. 2 helpful votes



Visa Waiver Program

Non immigrants from certain countries are not required to have U.S. visas when entering the U.S. as visitors for business or pleasure. Such persons, who must nonetheless still present unexpired passports, are called "visa waivers" shown below as "W.B." and "W.T."


Other Nonimmigrants

Nonimmigrants, other than persons who enter as "visa waivers", may file applications at the Immigration and Naturalization Service, prior to the departing date, requesting an extension of their nonimmigrant status, or requesting a change to another nonimmigrant status, or requesting adjustment of their status to permanent resident.

Additional Resources

List of Visa Descriptions

Rate this guide

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,893 answers this week

3,306 attorneys answering