Dealing with sexual harassment

Posted almost 5 years ago. Applies to United States, 0 helpful votes



I think I'm Being Sexually Harassed!

If you believe you've been subjected to sexual harassment you need to know what the law requires of you. You must comply with any rules promulgated in your company handbook. Read the handbook and understand what you must do. Typically, a report to a supervisor or HR employee is required. No handbook - no problem. Next, if the conduct continues or is not properly addressed you must contact the EEOC. The EEOC is charged with investigating these types of claims. Illinois also has the Illinois Human Rights Commission which is charged with investigating the same reports at the state level. Either way, your charge will be investigated. The investigation will seek information from both the employee and the employer. If there are any written forms or video that may depict such harassing behavior you should legally attempt to secure a copy. Here, an attorney consult is necessary.


Your Charge of Discrimination has been Approved.

When you receive the Notice of Right to Sue you have only 90 days within which to file a lawsuit. You may still have longer to file your state claims that will accompany the sexual harassment lawsuit. However, your lawyer will make that decision upon preparing your Complaint. You may seek compensatory (lost wages, front wages, medical bills, etc.), and punitive damages against an employer who allows that type of behavior to continue. If you fail to file within 90 days your ability to file suit is forever lost. Don't delay. When you receive the right to sue letter you must contact a qualified attorney immediately.

Additional Resources

EEOC Sexual Harassment hyperlink

Illinois Human Rights Act

Rate this guide

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,214 answers this week

3,444 attorneys answering