Q&A: Getting a Deficiency Waved

Benjamin Earl Hillard

Video posted by

Foreclosure Attorney - Largo, FL

Contributor Level 4

Posted almost 2 years ago. Applies to Florida, 1 helpful vote


Successfully resolving a foreclosure suit and avoiding a deficiency judgment can be hard to predict because of numerous factors, not the least of which is the human factor. Judges are human and they all have different opinions on foreclosures, some appear pro-lender, and others pro-borrower.

However borrowers have the best chance of getting a deficiency judgment waived when they work with a lawyer through the foreclosure process instead of burying their head in the sand.

First, when the foreclosure is served a borrow typically has 20 days to respond to the summons. If a response is not filled, the bank can file a default and you have lost your opportunity to challenge that lawsuit, and the banks do not even have to notify you of the process moving forward.

However, when you work with a lawyer and respond to the summons within the time frame specified, a borrower's lawyer can put up a number of defenses* to possilbly reduce the principal balance. In addition, a foreclosure defense lawyer can apply legal pressure on the lender to avoid a deficiency judgment - or even get a loan modification, short sale, or deed-in-lieu.

So to stay informed of the process and have the best chance of avoiding a deficiency judgment, it is important for borrowers to work with a lawyer and respond to the summons in the time specified.

*Some of the defenses include banks not following their own guidelines and overvaluing properties.

Additional Resources

Avoid Deficiency Judgment

Rate this guide

Related Topics

Property foreclosure

If you miss too many mortgage payments, your lender can start foreclosure proceedings to take ownership of the property, but it has to follow your state's laws.

Buying a short sale

A short sale is an alternative to foreclosure in which you sell property for less than you owe on it, and your lender agrees to forgive the remaining balance.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,816 answers this week

3,514 attorneys answering