Ray Garcia

Written by  Pro

Real Estate Attorney

Contributor Level 11

Posted almost 2 years ago. 1 helpful vote


If your home is currently worth significantly less than you owe on it, MHA’s Principal Reduction Alternative was designed to help you by encouraging mortgage servicers and investors to reduce the amount you owe on your home. You may be eligible for Principal Reduction Alternative if:

•Your mortgage is not owned or guaranteed by Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac. •You owe more than your home is worth. •You occupy the house as your primary residence. •You obtained your mortgage on or before January 1, 2009. •Your mortgage payment is more than 31 percent of your gross (pre-tax) monthly income. •You owe up to $729,750 on your 1st mortgage. •You have a financial hardship and are either delinquent or in danger of falling behind. •You have sufficient, documented income to support the modified payment. •You must not have been convicted within the last 10 years of felony larceny, theft, fraud or forgery, money laundering or tax evasion, in connection with a mortgage or real estate transaction.*Eligibility criteria are for guidance only. Contact your mortgage servicer to see if you are eligible for PRA.

Additional Resources

Rate this guide

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

22,996 answers this week

2,711 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

22,996 answers this week

2,711 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary