How to Obtain a US Passport for a Child Under 16 When One Parent Does Not Consent STAFF PICK

Jon Vincent Forehand

Written by

Family Law Attorney

Contributor Level 12

Posted about 5 years ago. 8 helpful votes



Complete the Application For a U.S. Passport

Complete Form DS-11.


Submit Evidence of U.S. Citizenship

Acceptable proof includes a certified copy of a birth certificate, Certificate of Citizenship or Naturalization.


Submit Evidence of Relationship and Parents' Identification

The parents or guardians of the child must submit proof of relationship such as certified copy of birth certificate, Court Order or Adoption Decree. The parents or guardians must also have acceptable personal identification.


Provide proof of Parental Consent

Generally, both parents must provide consent in order for a passport to be issued to a minor under 16 years old. However, there are several ways to avoid having both parents consent. If a parent has been awarded sole custody, a certified copy of the custody order or Adoption Decree(single parent adoption) must be provided and the non-custodial parent's consent is not required. If the certified copy of the birth certificate lists only one parent , the other parent's consent is not required. If the other parent is deceased a certified copy of the death certificate may be provided. If the other parent has been legally declared incompetent, a copy of the Court Order is required. Finally, in other circumstances form DS-3053 may be submitted to establish why the consent of the other parent cannot be obtained.

Additional Resources

U.S. Department of State

Rate this guide

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,191 answers this week

3,083 attorneys answering