Newport Criminal Defense 101: Getting a Restricted Drivers License

Posted over 2 years ago. Applies to California, 1 helpful vote


Penalties for a DUI are very stiff. On a first conviction you might:Be sentenced to up to six months in jail. Fined anywhere between $390 and $1,000. Pay a “penalty assessment" equal to approximately three times the amount of your fine. Lose your driver’s license for six months. Be required to complete a DUI program. Depending on your BAC, you might have to enroll in a program that lasts as long as nine months. Pay a reissue fee of $125 to have your driver’s license reinstated.File an SR-22 (proof of financial responsibility) with the DMV

An increasing priority to many of my clients is whether or not they will have there license suspended, and if so, for how long. The good news is that on a first time DUI the general hard suspension of your license is only 30 days. After that, if you are completed with the below requirements, you can go ahead and request a restricted license be issued through the DMV.


  1. Make it through the mandatory suspension period, complete a possible jail term, or both.
  2. Complete a DUI treatment program, and then file a Notice of Completion Certificate (DL 101).
  3. Make an appointment to visit the DMV to pay your reissue fee and file proof of financial responsibility (California Insurance Proof Certificate, SR 22).
  4. Pay the court any fines you might owe.

These are the general rules, however, if you simply enroll in your alcohol classes, and show an SR-22 proof on insurance certificate, the DMV will allow you to get a work restricted license to drive to and from or within the scope of your business. This is, in most instances, how attorneys are able to get there clients back into there vehicles after only 30 straight days.

Additional Resources

Additional information can be found at

Rate this guide

Related Topics


The definition, charges, and penalties for driving under the influence (DUI) vary by state and depend on a number of factors.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,794 answers this week

3,244 attorneys answering