New California Homeowner’s Bill of Rights May Trigger New Borrower Rights, Lawsuits with Damages!

Posted almost 2 years ago. Applies to California, 0 helpful votes



Banks (Servicer, Trustee) Evidence of Compliance

The California Homeowner's Bill of Rights, termed HOBR requires that "licensees" will be responsible for maintaining evidence of compliance with all of the new requirements. "Such evidence includes, but not be limited to, phone conversation logs, copies of correspondence, notices, declarations and operations manuals that establish a mortgage servicer's policies and procedures. A licensee's books and records should establish that required correspondence and notices occur within the time periods set forth in the law."


HOBR -- CA Right to Sue for Treble and Statutory Damages!

New Violations / New Private Right of Action / New Damages: If Trustee's Deed Upon Sale is Recorded, then a borrower may sue for "actual economic damages" caused by the violation - if not corrected or remedied before the trustee's deed was recorded. If the court finds the material violation was intentional, reckless, or resulted from willful misconduct, the court may award the borrower treble the actual damages or statutory damages of $50,000. A prevailing BORROWER may also be awarded reasonable attorney fees and costs.

Additional Resources For full Article or Interview: Free Initial Consultation: 1-877-946-4968 or Email: California Attorney at Law Richard Ivar Rydstrom, Esq.

Foreclosure Attorney CA OC

Rate this guide

Related Topics


The term property refers to things a person can own or possess. There are two types: real property (real estate) and personal property (everything else).

Andrew Ben Boyer


On behalf of Andrew Boyer PC posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2013 Any divorce has the potential to be a massively complicated affair. Many Illinois couples spend months in court arguing... more

Property foreclosure

If you miss too many mortgage payments, your lender can start foreclosure proceedings to take ownership of the property, but it has to follow your state's laws.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,927 answers this week

3,632 attorneys answering