Limited Liability Company (LLC)

Posted about 1 year ago. Applies to Arkansas, 0 helpful votes



Question: How is it formed?

An LLC is formed by filing Articles of Incorporation with the Secretary of State. An LLC should also draft an operating agreement that will structure the business's finances and organization. Forming an LLC requires less registration paperwork and smaller startup costs than forming an S-Corporation. An LLC does have a limited life. When a member leaves the LLC, the business is dissolved. The remaining members can start a new LLC, if they choose. Provisions can be added to the operating agreement allowing the LLC business to remain viable upon the departure of a member.


Question: Who owns and manages it?

The owners of the LLC are called "members." Members may manage the company themselves or hire a manager. Members may also distribute profits as they see fit.


Question: What are the liability implications?

Members are protected from personal liability for the decisions and actions of the business. This does not protect members from "wrongful acts" of the LLC or its employees.


Question: What are the tax consequences?

Depending upon elections made by the LLC, the IRS will treat the business as a Sole Proprietorship, a Partnership, or a Corporation. Generally, the LLC business is not taxed by the federal government. Rather, all profits and losses are "passed through" the LLC to each individual member. The members report those profits and losses on their personal federal tax returns. Members must also pay the self-employment tax contributions towards Medicare and Social Security. An LLC with only one member will file a Form 1040 Schedule C. This is the same form used by Sole Proprietors. An LLC with more than one member will file a Form 1065. This is the same form used for partnership tax returns. An LLC also has the option of being classified as a Corporation for federal tax purposes by filing a Form 8832. An LLC filing as a Corporation will use Form 1120 when filing taxes. This is the Corporation income tax return.


Question: What if I need help with choosing or setting up my business entity?

If you need help with choosing an entity type for your new business, drafting or filing Articles of Incorporation or Articles of Organization, or other legal documents necessary for your new business, please contact Deborah Hardin at The Hardin Law Firm, PLC or a licensed attorney in your state. We serve Little Rock, North Little Rock, Sherwood, Jacksonville, Cabot and surrounding areas in Central Arkansas. The Hardin Law Firm, PLC PHONE: 501-247-1830 FAX: 501-286-7109 EMAIL: WEB:



The information contained in this blog or website is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter. The Hardin Law Firm, PLC cannot guarantee the content or usefulness of any linked websites. The use of this blog or website and/or any information contained herein shall not create any attorney-client relationship between you and The Hardin Law Firm, PLC. Prior to acting based on any material contained on this blog or website, you should seek and retain professional counsel in your state or other jurisdiction, as applicable. You may not rely upon, nor should you act on, any information contained on this website without seeking and engaging a competent attorney licensed to practice law in the appropriate jurisdiction.

Additional Resources

Doing Business in Arkansas - The Hardin Law Firm, PLC

Limited Liability Company (LLC)

S Corporations (S Corp)

Succession Planning What is it? Why do I need it?

Planning to start a business in Arkansas?

Self-Employed Individuals Tax Center

SCHEDULE C (Form 1040)

Form 1065

Form 8832, Entity Classification Election

Form 1120

Rate this guide

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,706 answers this week

3,481 attorneys answering