Land Condemnation- Inverse Condemnation

Posted over 2 years ago. Applies to North Carolina, 2 helpful votes


What actions can you take if your land is "taken" by another, but you are not served with a land condemnation complaint?

In North Carolina, If the government or some organization plans to take your property and bring a land condemnation action, you will be served an official complaint or declaration telling you so. In that case, you don't need to file an inverse condemnation suit, but you still need a lawyer to help you win proper compensation. HOWEVER, if your property has been taken or damaged—or if it is in the process of being damaged—and you have NOT been served an official declaration of land condemnation, you have the right to file an action for inverse condemnation. But be aware that there are deadlines: You must file an inverse condemnation complaint within 24 months of the date your property was taken, or 24 months from the time the project that took your property was completed, whichever is later.

*** Principal Office of Henson & Fuerst, PA: 2501 Blue Ridge Road, Raleigh, NC 27607 ***

Additional Resources

NC Land Condmenation

Rate this guide

Related Topics

Condemned house

A condemned house is one that does not meet building codes, and is in such poor shape that nobody can legally live in it unless and until it is repaired.

Real property ownership

Several different kinds of property ownership exist, including joint tenancy, tenancy in common and more. The right one for you depends on your circumstances.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,524 answers this week

3,356 attorneys answering