Injured in a NYC Municipal Hospital; Can You File a Late Claim? Attorney Gerry Oginski Explains

Posted about 2 years ago. Applies to New York, 2 helpful votes


You suffered an injury in a NYC municipal hospital. Maybe it was Jacobi Hospital, Bellevue Hospital, Elmhurst Hospital, North Central Bronx, Queens General, Kings County Hospital or another one of the hospitals owned and operated by New York City Health and Hospitals Corporation.

In New York, as of October 2012, you typically have only 90 days from the date of the wrongdoing within which to file a "notice of claim" against New York City health and hospitals Corporation. (That time can change and you cannot rely on that info when you watch this video days, weeks, months or even years later).

What happens if you only realize you may have a valid medical malpractice case after the 90 days have passed? Can you still file a claim against the hospital?

It is vitally important to realize that if you intend to bring a lawsuit against one of the municipal hospitals owned and operated by NYCHHC, there is an absolute requirement to file a timely 'notice of claim' first. This video explores the steps that must be taken if more than 90 days have passed.

Watch the video to learn more...

Additional Resources

Gerry's Medical Malpractice YouTube Channel

Gerry's Educational Medical Malpractice Website

Rate this guide

Related Topics

Medical malpractice

Medical malpractice occurs when a medical professional's negligence causes injury to a patient. Incorrect actions and inaction can both be forms of negligence.

Jonathan Michael Rolnick

Medical Malpractice Case

There is an expectation when we see a physician or go to the hospital that a certain "reasonable" standard of care will be provided. In most cases, this is exactly what happens. There are... more

Surgical malpractice and personal injury

Surgical malpractice occurs when a medical professional makes an error during surgery that was both preventable and beyond the normal risks.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

34,233 answers this week

3,743 attorneys answering