In Pa. Workers' Comp, Can I Visit My Family Doctor if I Do Not Wish to Visit The Company Doctor?

Posted almost 2 years ago. Applies to Pennsylvania, 0 helpful votes


Under PA Workers' Compensation Law, an injured worker is required to treat with a healthcare provider that is named on a posted list of panel physicians by the employer. This treatment is mandatory for the first 90 days after the injury is reported at work.

However, if NO panel physician list is posted and/or the employer fails to provide the injured worker with an acknowledgment of injury form for signature immediately after the work injury is reported, then the injured worker is free to treat with ANY physician or healthcare facility of their own choosing.

Additionally, if the employer's list does NOT contain a licensed practitioner of the healing arts in a certain specialty, like chiropractic, then the injured worker may choose their own practitioner in this field of medicine (i.e. a family chiropractor).

One final but important point, there is nothing in the PA Workers' Compensation law that prevents an injured worker from treating with their own family doctor or a doctor of their own choosing within the first 90 days after the injury even if a posted list of panel physicians exists. The Workers' Compensation insurance company simply does not have to pay for the treatment for the first 90 days. However, you can pay for such treatment out of your own pocket or submit the bills to your health insurance carrier as these bills will certainly be denied by the PA Workers' Compensation insurance carrier.

Dealing with the payment of medical bills and the treatment for a work-related injury can be confusing and complicated.

Contact A.J. Palutis at

Additional Resources

Pa Workers' Compensation Help Now

Rate this guide

Related Topics

Types of personal injuries

There are many types of personal injuries for which financial damages can be awarded, including physical, emotional, and psychological injuries.

Work-related personal injuries

Employees can sue for damages if they’ve suffered work-related injuries. These lawsuits are separate from workers’ compensation and cover more kinds of injury.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,157 answers this week

3,299 attorneys answering