Immigration Law: Hague Adoption Basics

Hendrik Tjaart J Pretorius

Written by

Immigration Attorney

Contributor Level 12

Posted about 4 years ago. 3 helpful votes



Accredited Adoption Service Provider

Choose an Accredited Adoption Service Provider - These agencies are mostly charged with helping collect the dossier of documents, help with placement of children if needed, and communicate directly with the central authorities in the respective foreign countries to ensure the adoption itself is lawful. Please be sure that the agency used is Hague Accredited. Pretorius Law Firm can help you find suitable agencies.


Home Study

Apply to be Found Eligible to Adopt - A "home study" needs to be conducted as part of the process which includes home visits and interviews with the prospective adoptive parents to ensure that the home is suitable to raise a child. Again we can assist in getting you in touch with an accredited home study agency in your local area and we can take care of the immigration filings necessary for parents to be found eligible to adopt a child as well as satisfying the immigration related requirements and petition once the child is matched to parents.


Be Matched with a Child

The accredited agency, through communication with the foreign countries central authorities will assist in providing matches for the adoptive parents to review. Note that if you already know which child you wish to adopt then there are several issues that we would need to address as the Hague is very strict on matters to ensure there are no human trafficking or criminal related matters involved in the adoption.


Immgration Application

Apply for the Child to be Found Eligible for Adoption - We can assist with the entire I-800A and I-800 process as well as I-600 process if a non-Hague adoption matter. These forms also require specific documentation that needs to be properly prepared and submitted to USCIS for adjudication before any adopted child can enter the U.S.

Additional Resources

Pretorius Law Firm International Adoption Page

U.S. Department of State Hague Adoption Information

Rate this guide

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,319 answers this week

3,155 attorneys answering