Skip to main content

I'm Behind On My Taxes, Can I Still File Bankruptcy?

Posted by attorney Clint Dunaway

In order to file for personal bankruptcy, you must be current on your tax filings. So for example, if you have not filed a tax return in the last five years you need to file those tax returns prior to filing the bankruptcy. However, even if you owe the IRS $100,000 but have filed all required tax returns then you are permitted to file for bankruptcy. And while the general rule is that tax debts are not discharge in bankruptcy you may qualify for the exception and your tax debt may be eligible to be discharge in the bankruptcy. Speak with one of our attorneys to learn if your tax debts may be discharged in bankruptcy.

Author of this guide:

Was this guide helpful?