What do I do if I Am the Victim of Police Brutality?

Posted over 5 years ago. 7 helpful votes



What Do I Do If I Am a Victim of Police Brutality?

If you truly were the victim of excessive force document your injuries while they are fresh. Demand to be taken to an emergency room. Have photos taken. If you can, get the names and badge numbers of the officers who worked you over.


What Next?

Most communities have a citizen's reveiw board to deal with complaints about the police. File a complaint there with a copy of your documentation. Even if you don't win your lawsuit your complaint will go in the officer's employment record. And that won't advance his career.


File a Claim Against the City or County Employing the Cops that Injured You

This is a crucial step. In CA you have 6 months to file such a claim. Time limits may differ in other states. If you do not do it you will not be able to bring suit. It will probably be denied but you still must make the claim.


File Your Lawsuit

Once the city or county has denied your claim, you can file suit against the employer of the officers who harmed you. These suits are hard to win but there are attorneys who specialize in bringing them. If one of these attorneys finds your case egregious enough to take, he'll probably do it on a contingency fee basis, meaning no out of pocket costs to you.

Additional Resources

John M. Kaman

Rate this guide

Related Questions

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,439 answers this week

3,210 attorneys answering