What to Tell Your Doctor After Getting Hurt in a Car Accident

Posted over 5 years ago. Applies to Georgia, 5 helpful votes



You were in an accident..... Tell the Doctor.

Remind the physician that the injuries you are treating for are a result of an automobile accident. Physicians are not in the business of determining "why" you are hurting, they are trained to treat and cure you. Ask them politely to record the fact that you were in an automobile accident and that is why you are treating.


You only recover for injuries that are "related" to the accident.

Ask the physician to relate your symptoms to trauma you sustained in the automobile accident. If true, explain to the doctor that you have "never" had treatment for similar injuries. Most physicians will be happy to evaluate whether your injuries are pre existing or directly related to the accident.


You are not a Doctor.....so don't self diagnose or treat on your own.

Follow the physicians instructions and never tell him you don't want to take his advice. If you prefer not to have a procedure done or you don't want to take medication talk to your attorney before telling your physician. Once the physician records your decision in the medical records the insurance company may deny the treatment in the future should you change your mind.


Your treatment is not over until the doctor says it's over.

Luckily, most injured clients treat and their symptoms heal as time passes. You want to make sure that you make one last follow up with your physician to discuss any future damages. For example.... ask your physician if he or she can give you a "PPD" rating. A "Permanent Partial Disability" rating measures your strength and flexibility. The injury you sustained in the car accident may have left you with a permanent problem in one of these areas. If so, a PPD rating can translate into pain and suffering which you are entitled to recover from the negligent driver.

Additional Resources


Rate this guide

Related Topics

Types of personal injuries

There are many types of personal injuries for which financial damages can be awarded, including physical, emotional, and psychological injuries.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

33,919 answers this week

3,739 attorneys answering