How to Request an Administrative Hearing from the DMV After Your DUI Arrest.

Adam J. Post

Written by

Litigation Lawyer - Irvine, CA

Contributor Level 10

Posted about 6 years ago. Applies to California, 8 helpful votes



Call or Write the DMV to Request Your Administrative Hearing

Send a letter or call the DMV within the first 10 days after your arrest. The safe money is on sending a letter, because you can have the letter sent by certified mail so that there is a record of its mailing. Be sure to request a return receipt from the post office to prove that it was received by the DMV.


Make sure to include the necessary information on your hearing request

The necessary information is: (1) Name, (2) Driver's License Number, (3) Address and Phone Number, (4) Date of service of the order of license suspension.

Additional Resources

LA DUI Blog for The Law Office of Adam J. Post

DMV APS hearing blog posting

Rate this guide

Related Topics


The definition, charges, and penalties for driving under the influence (DUI) vary by state and depend on a number of factors.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,324 answers this week

3,388 attorneys answering