How to Replace Your Green Card

Neil F. Lewis

Written by  Pro

Immigration Attorney - Tampa, FL

Contributor Level 14

Posted about 6 years ago. 3 helpful votes



Complete Form I-90

Go to and prepare form I-90.


Submit The Completed Form to USCIS

The smart applicant will submit their I-90 electronically. That is not always possible, so you may also mail the application to the correct Service Center (see the form instructions for details).


Get the Receipt Notice and Gather Evidence Regarding Your Current Status

Now that you have your receipt, you may now make an appointment at your local CIS Office, using the Infopass system, to get a stamp in your passport, or a temporary green card showing that you are currently a lawful permanent resident of the US.


Wait, Wait, Wait, Wait for Your Green Card

At some point you will do your fingerprints and the green card will come in the mail. Eventually. Six months to a year is the norm.

Additional Resources

e-filing I-90 form

Rate this guide

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

17,903 answers this week

2,387 attorneys answering