How To get a default judgment in California

Posted almost 4 years ago. Applies to California, 2 helpful votes



File a Complaint

You must file a complaint that alleges your causes of actions. Make sure to include enough facts to put the other party on notice. File the complaint along with the appropriate fees (found on the court's website), a summons, and a civil case cover sheet.


Serve the opposing party

You must serve the opposing party by having someone else deliver the court stamped complaint, summons, civil case cover sheet and alternative dispute resolution (ADR pack available on the court's website or court will return with conformed copies). You must then have the serving party file a proof of service and file that with the court.


Request the default

Thirty days after service you will request a default by filling out form Civ-100, and filing that a copy of the proof of service and the summons, with the court.


Enter the default judgment

You must file a judgement (JUD-100) and a request for clerk's default (Civ-100). If the opposing party is in another state you will also need an exemplified judgement (request that in business office)

Additional Resources

Global Legal Resources

Rate this guide

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,118 answers this week

2,951 attorneys answering