How to file for a permanent residency based on a marriage to a US Citizen.

Sam Shihab

Written by

Immigration Attorney - Columbus, OH

Contributor Level 10

Posted over 4 years ago. 4 helpful votes



If the foreign national spouse currently resides in the US.

In this case the petition to be filed will require filling forms I-130, I-485, G-325A, and I-864. These forms can be found online at Bear in mind that the forms require attention to details. You should take extreme care to fill the out the petition completely. If at anytime thou feel that you are unable to complete the application, consult an attorney. Further the foreign national must conduct a medical examination by a designated medical professional who will fill form I-693. The purpose of the medical and vaccination record check to confirm that there are no medical grounds that would render the foreign spouse inadmissible. Information on locating approved civil surgeons can be found at:


Work authorization

The foreign national spouse may file an application for work authorization form I-765 along with the petition. In most instances, they can also file for a US travel document using form I-131. You must read the instructions of every form to be able to properly fill the forms. You must accurately calculate the filing fees. I recommend you issue a separate check for every form and not combine them. Please remember to issue a separate check for biometrics fee of $80 if appropriate. You must follow the jurisdiction guidelines to determine where to send applications. You can find it at: Good Luck .

Additional Resources

You my read this more complete overview on my website.

Rate this guide

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

22,662 answers this week

2,919 attorneys answering