Skip to main content

How to claim on a Divorce Insurance policy

Posted by attorney Howard Lewis

You can claim for your insurance by submitting your court stamped divorce document whether it is a divorce decree or marriage dissolution decree depending on which state or county you reside. This means claims made by you in regards to your policy will be paid by the insurance company only after the termination of your marriage is finalized. It is must for the policyholder to pay all legal fees and other expenses in advance of the divorce.

To protect against adverse selection, such policies have a lengthy ‘elimination period’ or a waiting period before a claim can be filed. Currently the waiting period for the standard plan offered by the companies dealing with such policies is 48 months. So, when getting such an insurance policy try to act as a smart consumer and always check all the details before signing up for a policy.

Author of this guide:

Was this guide helpful?

Get Avvo’s 10-part divorce email series

A weekly guide with tips and legal advice for each stage of the process.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer