How to apply for TPS

Norma Lorenzo

Written by

Immigration Attorney

Contributor Level 15

Posted over 4 years ago. 1 helpful vote



Apply for TPS using form I-821

You most submit such form with the required immigration fee. Applicants who are older than 14 years of age must also submit a fee for biometrics.


Apply for work authorization

If you are between the ages of 14-65 and want to work legally in the US you may also submit the application for work authrization. Such will be granted for either 1 year or for the time TPS was granted which ever of the two periods is shorter. Such could be extended as long as TPS is also extended. Note: that if you betweent he ages of 14-65 you will still have to fill out the work authorization form but not pay the filing fee if you do not want to work.


Documents that should be included with petition

You could include a copy of your passport or birth certificate as proof that you are a citizen of the country which was put under TPS protection. Additionally, you should submit copies of your I-94 in order to show that your date of entry into the US was after such protective status was extended.

Additional Resources

The Law Office of Norma Lorenzo, PLLC

Rate this guide

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,927 answers this week

3,094 attorneys answering