How to apply for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA)

Ricky Malik

Written by

Immigration Attorney

Contributor Level 13

Posted about 2 years ago. 2 helpful votes



To Attorney or not to Attorney, that is the question

Strongly consider hiring or discussing your eligibility with a qualified immigration attorney.


Payment and Forms

Send a check or money order payable to "U.S. Department of Homeland Security" for $465, along with two (2) Passport Photos and forms G-28 (with attorney submissions), I-821D, I-765, and I-765WS.


Education or Armed Forces

1. High School: Proof of current enrollment, graduation or completion, OR 2. A General Educational Development (GED) certification or proof of enrollment, OR 3. Evidence that you are enrolled in an education, literacy, or career training program (including vocational training) designed to lead to placement in postsecondary education, job training, or employment and where you are working toward such placement, OR 4. Evidence of English as a Second Language (ESL) programs will qualify if the program is intended and designed for your placement in postsecondary education, job training, or employment, OR 5. Military information.


Evidence that you have been in the United States for five (5) years

Examples include School records, cell phone bills, medical records, doctor's bills, school transcripts, rent receipts, utility bills, employment records, bank records, church docs, parental information, taxes, paystubs, W-2's, 1099's, money order receipts, children's birth certificates, passport entries, letters between you and another person or organization, title and vehicle registration, DMV records, rental agreements, postmarked letters, receipts, and any other relevant documentation.


Age & Entry

You must have been born after 6/15/81, and aged 15 or older right now. If younger than 15, you can still apply if you are now in immigration court or have ever been previously. You must submit any proof you entered the U.S. without inspection before 6/15/12 or that you were out of status by 6/15/12. Also submit any proof you arrived in U.S. before the age of 16 (passports, visa or immigration docs, travel records, school records, hospital, medical, any official records, anything with name and date) and any proof you have continuously resided in the U.S. since 6/15/07 up to the present time and were physically present in the United States on 6/15/12.


Crimes & Police

Submit any documentation about any criminal or traffic convictions or citations, if you have any. You cannot have not been convicted of a felony, significant misdemeanor, three or more other misdemeanors, and do not otherwise pose a threat to national security or public safety

Additional Resources

Law Offices of Ricky Malik, P.C.

Rate this guide

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,253 answers this week

3,176 attorneys answering