How is child support calculated in Nevada when other side has primary physical custody?

Greta Muirhead

Written by

Child Support Lawyer - Las Vegas, NV

Posted May 24, 2009

I'm the Non-Custodial Parent--the other Parent has Primary Physical--What's my child Support?

If you work hourly, take your hourly wage multiply that by the number of hours you work per week (usually 40) and multiply that figure by 52 (there are 52 weeks in a year). Take that number and divide it by 12 (12 months in a year). That number is your gross monthly income or GMI.

Ok, I know my GMI, Now what?

If you have one child, multiply your GMI x 18%. If you have two children, multiply your GMI x 25%, three children, multiply your GMI x 29%. If you have more than three children from one mother, then each child is an additional 2%. For example: 31%, 33%, etc.

Obligation of Support

The number that you arrive at after multiplying is your obligation for support. HOWEVER, there is something called a "presumptive max" in Nevada or sort of a "ceiling amount". Every year, that presumptive max changes on July 1, 2009. Look under NRS 125B.070 presumptive max. for those tables. If the number you came up with for one child in Step 2 is less than the presumptive max, that is usually the child support amount that you will pay. If that number is greater, than you will pay the presumptive max. amount.

But, I have other children from a new marriage or relationship--does that matter?

Yes, so long as they are biological children. Provide birth certificates showing that you are the father of these other children. The Court may, but does not have to, reduce your child support based upon your legal responsibility for these other children.

What about step-children or caring for my sick mother--does that count?

No. You have no legal responsibility to care or provide support for your step-children or sick mother.

What about health insurance?

If you are providing health insurance and it cost you money to insure the children, then have your health ins. co. or your employer provide you with proof of what it cost to just have the children on your health insurance. You will usually be given a credit for one-half the premium cost. Make sure the other parent has the health insurance card, provider book and claim forms.

Are there other ways to reduce my child support obligation?

Yes. Review NRS 125B.080 for other "deviating factors" including the amount of time the child spends with each party. travel expenses, etc. The two major ones mentioned here are the most common.

But, my child is a special needs child.

If your child has special needs and increased medical costs, etc., the court may order the other parent to pay more than the child support amount indicated above.

I missed some of my child support payments. What happens now?

Check out my other How to Guide.

Additional Resources

Rate this guide

Related Topics

Child support

Child support is a payment made from one parent to another parent (usually from non-custodial to custodial), to help ensure the child's financial needs are met.

Featured Legal Guides

Child Custody

Child custody involves decisions about who will be responsible for a child, including parental rights, for both married and unmarried parents, and adoptions.

Featured Legal Guides

Questions? An attorney can help.

Ask a Question
Free & anonymous.
Find a Lawyer
Free. No commitment.