How Do I Qualify for an H-1B or Specialty Occupation Visa?

Karen-Lee Pollak

Video posted by

Immigration Attorney - Dallas, TX

Contributor Level 19

Posted almost 2 years ago. 2 helpful votes


Immigration attorney Karen-Lee Pollak explains how to legally work in the United States with an H-1B visa.

The H-1B is a non-immigrant visa in the United States under the Immigration and Nationality Act, section 101(a)(15)(H). It allows US employers to temporarily employ foreign workers in specialty occupations.

Additional Resources

Making the H-1B Visa Quota for Fiscal Year 2013

Guidance for IT & Staffing Companies in Filing H-1B Petitions

Rate this guide

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

US visas

There are many types of immigrant and non-immigrant visas, including work visas, student visas, and marriage visas.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,684 answers this week

3,339 attorneys answering