How do I obtain a visa stamp in my passport?

Posted about 5 years ago. 1 helpful vote



How do I obtain a visa stamp in my passport?

An initial visa stamp for a given nonimmigrant classification must be applied for at a U.S. consulate in your home country. Some U.S. consulates may accept nonimmigrant visa applications by third-country nationals (individuals who are not citizens of the country in which the consulate is located) as a courtesy to visitors to those countries. U.S. Consulates are not required to accept applications by third-country nationals, and visa issuance is at the sole discretion of the consular officers at the post. You should contact the appropriate American Consulate or Embassy in advance to determine its application process and the current application fee. You may also check the Department of State website at Most consulates have instructive web pages.


Requirements vary for each Consulate but typically include the following

The original Notice of Action approving your employer's nonimmigrant visa petition on your behalf A copy of the petition filed with USCIS Completed and signed Department of State form DS 156 (Nonimmigrant Visa Application) which is available at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate or on its website. Completed form DS-157 by male visa applicants between the ages of 16 and 45. Some consulates require all applicants to complete this form. Completed form DS-158 for all applicants for an F, M or J visa. A valid passport One passport-style photograph Appropriate filing fees Reciprocity agreements between the U.S. and your country of nationality will determine (1) the length of time your nonimmigrant visa stamp will be valid, (2) the number of times you may enter the U.S. on the visa, and (3) the fees charged for issuance of the visa. Note that your passport should be valid for at least six months beyond the validity period of the nonimmigrant visa petition. If it is valid

Additional Resources

U.S. Department of State

U.S. Embassy Database

Rate this guide

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

21,849 answers this week

2,723 attorneys answering