How and When to use a Quit Claim Deed

Posted about 5 years ago. 15 helpful votes



Fill out the Quit Claim Deed

Generally you should be able to find a Quit Claim Deed form in a business supply store or online. The form will require the name of the Grantor, the name of the Grantee, the marital state of each party, the legal description and the Permanent Index Number for the property and the address of the property. Depending on the County where the Deed is being recorded, it may or may not need to be notarized, but for the protection of the Grantee, to assure that there is no question that the Grantor intended to give the Deed, it would be a good idea to have the signature notarized.


Check recording requirements

You will need to check the recording requirements of the city and county where the deed is being recorded to determine whether there are any transfer or exemption stamps required. Upon meeting all the requirements, the Deed should be recorded with the Recorder of Deeds for the county in which the property resides.

Additional Resources

The Grantee may want to do a title search before accepting the Quit Claim Deed to assure themselves of what, if any, liens they are taking responsibility for.

Rate this guide

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,230 answers this week

3,301 attorneys answering