The Law Office of Kenneth Vercammen

& Associates, P.C.

2053 Woodbridge Ave.

Edison, NJ 08817

(732) 572-0500


Even the most seasoned driver must be prepared at all times for the unforeseen danger of automobile drivers who are not paying attention to the road. Hopefully you will be able to maneuver around the danger but sometimes you will not be that lucky.

If the other driver stops and exchanges pertinent accident information, you have a good chance of recovering your damages...but what if they don¹t? There¹s a likely chance that you may be involved in a HIT AND RUN at some point. Unfortunately, many drivers currently using our roads are driving without licenses or insurance, or had multiple suspensions. These circumstances make them far more likely to leave the scene of the accident.

If you are injured in a hit and run, we often are still able to help you obtain money compensation from the Unsatisfied Claim and Judgment Fund or from your own insurance company. Most drivers in New Jersey have uninsured motorist coverage to protect them if they are seriously injured in a hit and run accident. Call Kenneth A. Vercammen to schedule an in-office consultation. Bring your insurance declaration sheet, insurance policy, and the accident report. Being in a motor vehicle collision is traumatic enough for everyone involved when all the parties remain at the scene. However, when the at-fault driver leaves the scene without cooperating with an investigation or exchanging information, then a whole new level of problems can arise.

Leaving the scene of an accident before the police arrive, or before information has been exchanged, can raise lots of questions about the at-fault driver. Was the driver drinking or taking drugs? Did they have a valid drivers license? Were they driving a stolen car? Did they have insurance? Who is going to pay for my medical bills? Who is going to help me get my car fixed? These are just some of the questions that arise.?

If the police and your insurance company are unable to figure out who else was involved in the collision, then it is likely that your own automobile insurance will be able to help you with medical bills and damages to your car if you have purchased separate uninsured motorist coverage (UM coverage). For all drivers, it is important to have UM coverage in case you are involved in a collision with an uninsured driver, or in hit and run situations, where you may not be able to identify and locate the other driver.

This UM coverage may be the only coverage available to help compensate you for your injuries in such a situation. Uninsured Motorist Coverage Despite the fact that New Jersey law requires every automobile owner in New Jersey to maintain insurance on their vehicle, many drivers who cause accidents in New Jersey do not have car insurance and are therefore uninsured motorists. In other cases, the driver who causes an accident may be insured but may not have enough insurance coverage to pay for all of the injuries caused in the accident and therefore is under-insured.

When contacted by people injured in car accidents, we are frequently asked What happens to my case if the person who caused the accident is uninsured or does not have enough insurance? If the at-fault driver does not have insurance, or does not have enough insurance, we will look to your own automobile insurance policy for compensation for your accident related injuries and losses.

Under New Jersey law, insurance companies selling automobile insurance in New Jersey are required to sell Uninsured/Under-Insured Motorist Insurance as part of every policy sold in New Jersey unless the coverage is specifically refused in writing. Uninsured or under-insured (UM/UIM) coverage is a separate coverage that provides coverage to you and your passengers if injured in an accident caused by an uninsured or under-insured driver. This coverage steps into the shoes of the at-fault driver and pays you the same kind of damages you could have recovered from the at-fault drivers insurance had the driver been insured.