Skip to main content

H-1B Temporary Work Visa Lottery System - Explaining the Basics

Posted by attorney Lisa Brenman

An H-1B is a specialty occupation visa for U.S. employers wishing to hire non-citizens. Since this is a "specialty occupation visa", the profile for which the employer wishes to hire a non-citizen must require a four year bachelors degree or more. The applicant for such a visa (the employee) must have such a degree, and if the applicant does not have a four-year bachelors degree, equivalent experience in the relevant industry may fulfill the four year requirement. Generally, a three year degree can be combined with three years of work experience to present a strong case for equivalence with a four year degree.

Additional resources provided by the author

Author of this guide:

Was this guide helpful?